[OSM-dev] GSoC 2017

Ronak Jain ronakjainc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:48:49 UTC 2017

> I would start by reading
> http://www.asklater.com/matt/blog/2015/11/18/the-road-to-api-07/. This
> places the GSoC work in the context of the problems and other work needed.
> Then, as you've mentioned, map a bit. All the editors interact with the
> API. I would start with iD, the default web-based editor, but then try
> JOSM, which is a java-based desktop editor. It is much easier to
> investigate the API calls with JOSM.
> After mapping normally a bit, look over
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6, in particular the Elements
> part (2.4) and Changesets (2.2). Then start JOSM from the command line
> so that there's a java console and map some more, looking at the API
> calls JOSM makes, and how they related to what you're doing.

Yes, I have started using iD and adding changes to the map. As suggested
I'll use JOSM as well to understand the API's.

> https://github.com/zerebubuth/openstreetmap-cgimap is the repository for
> cgimap, and it's issue tracker is on GitHub. #90 and #84 seem like easy
> ones where most of the work will be getting familiar with the project.
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website is the other
> project to be familiar with (It's called "The Rails Port"). It powers
> the website, and for various reasons, all the API calls cgimap does are
> also implemented in it. cgimap-ruby aims to end this duplication.

I'll read through the code, run it and test it by myself and then start
fixing the easy issues which you have out pointed to and yes, I'll look
into the website as well.

Working on a plan would be good. I recommend giving some consideration to
> - Which API calls you will work on
> - How you will test the cgimap part
> - How you will test that cgimap and the rails port have the same behavior
> None of these need to be complete, but having given some thought to what
> to do puts you well ahead of most potential students.

I will definitely figure these out as I work on the project and should be
able to discuss with you. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Is it okay if I could communicate with you directly on your email or
dev-list should be fine?.

Again thank you very much, I will get back to you soon.