[OSM-dev] GSoC 2017

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Feb 2 22:32:46 UTC 2017

On 2/1/2017 10:34 PM, Ronak Jain wrote:
> After going through the list of possible idea's for this summer, I
> would like to consider
> Full cgimap write support
> Full cgimap read-only support
> I have chosen these as I have good experience with the languages being
> used in the project also I have worked with Postgres earlier. I will
> choose the idea after speaking with the mentor and deciding what could
> be additionally added to the project.
>
> I would like to know,
> how can I get started with the project?

I would start by reading
http://www.asklater.com/matt/blog/2015/11/18/the-road-to-api-07/. This
places the GSoC work in the context of the problems and other work needed.

Then, as you've mentioned, map a bit. All the editors interact with the
API. I would start with iD, the default web-based editor, but then try
JOSM, which is a java-based desktop editor. It is much easier to
investigate the API calls with JOSM.

After mapping normally a bit, look over
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6, in particular the Elements
part (2.4) and Changesets (2.2). Then start JOSM from the command line
so that there's a java console and map some more, looking at the API
calls JOSM makes, and how they related to what you're doing.

> are there any bite-sized project or bugs that could be fixed?

https://github.com/zerebubuth/openstreetmap-cgimap is the repository for
cgimap, and it's issue tracker is on GitHub. #90 and #84 seem like easy
ones where most of the work will be getting familiar with the project.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website is the other
project to be familiar with (It's called "The Rails Port"). It powers
the website, and for various reasons, all the API calls cgimap does are
also implemented in it. cgimap-ruby aims to end this duplication.

> what are the steps I could take to increase my acceptance rate?

Asking in advance is good, as many students don't ;)

Working on a plan would be good. I recommend giving some consideration to

- Which API calls you will work on
- How you will test the cgimap part
- How you will test that cgimap and the rails port have the same behavior

None of these need to be complete, but having given some thought to what
to do puts you well ahead of most potential students.