[OSM-dev] Submitting proposal for GSoC 2017

Hriday N Sanghvi hriday_nilesh at srmuniv.edu.in
Thu Feb 16 13:43:31 UTC 2017

Hello Lonvia,

I’m a student of Computer Science Engineering at SRM University, India (
http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/). I am interested in submitting my proposal for
GSOC 2017 for either one of the Open Street Map projects 1. Improve
Postcode handling or 2. OpenAddresses for Nominatim.

I have extensive experience working with PHP and MySQL databases on various
web based projects. I have undergone a PostgreSQL course on
https://www.lynda.com/PHP-5-tutorials/PostgreSQL-9-with-PHP-Essential-Training/73930-2.html
and http://www.tutorialspoint.com/postgresql/ and I’m quite comfortable
working with Github. I have some experience with Google Maps API while
working on a location based Click-and-Collect grocery shopping app. I plan
to continue with coding for OSM even after the GSOC project and also plan
to base my six months project in the eighth and final semester of my course
on OSM.

I understand that the list of accepted mentoring organizations will be
published on February 27 and potential student participants will discuss
application ideas with mentoring organizations from February 27 to March 20
and that student application period is open from March 20 to April 3, but I
wish to start early.

I have downloaded JOSM to edit my local area on the map, but I found ID
editor to be an easier option.

With regard to extraction of postcode data and exporting data to the
Nominatim database related to the project titled “Improve Postcode
Handling”, I have looked at API v 0.6 (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6 ), including the endpoints for
capabilities (http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/api/capabilities ),
permissions (http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/permissions ),
change sets (http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changesets ), nodes
(http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/node/12345 ), and trace
metadata (http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/gpx/12345/details ) in
which I was asked for Authentication.

I also went through the Overpass API (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API ), Overpass Turbo remote (
http://overpass-turbo.eu/ ) and Overpass Turbo Query form (
http://www.overpass-api.de/query_form.html ).

Though I was able to download limited data using the “Download Map data
from OSM server” tool in JOSM, I am not sure about the endpoint and query
to get post codes using API v 0.6 or Overpass API. I would really
appreciate any help on this. <http://overpass-api.de/api/>

I’m confident of producing productive work during the GSOC period. Before I
start working on the proposal for GSOC 2017, I would appreciate any
guidance you could provide.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hriday N Sanghvi