[OSM-dev] Submitting proposal for GSoC 2017

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Thu Feb 16 20:53:04 UTC 2017

Hi Hriday,

thank you for your interest in the OSM GSoC.

There are a couple of things you can do to prepare for the postcode
project.

First of all you should familiarize yourself a bit with the OSM data
model in general (nodes, ways, relations, tags) and then find out
how postcode tagging works in particular. There are essetially two
ways how postcodes are mapped: as part of an address for a particular
house (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr) or as an
area (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dpostal_code).
You can use Overpass (or Overpass Turbo) to find examples of the data.

Nominatim actually uses complete OSM data dumps and processes them
into a search database. So improving the search means improving the
import process. So, next you should try and set up your own instance
of Nominatim using the current development version from
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim (installation documentation
can be found in the doc/ directory) and a data extract from
http://download.geofabrik.de/. I recommend something from Europe
as there is already a fair coverage with postcodes.

Finally, it will also be helpful if you do a little bit of research
about postcodes in general to find out what different systems are
in use and where.

Hope that helps to get you started.

Kind regards

Sarah