[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Fri Feb 24 10:26:51 UTC 2017

As evident in the discussion on issue
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1446 there
are several people interested in maintaining functionality that existed
only a few days ago - being able to view single tiles just as easily as
before.

A patch was submitted which added the tile to the new context menu
(which in itself is a fine addition but eliminated the functionality
being discussed). See
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/1450

It was closed and rejected in a very abrupt and unconstructive manner.

The issue itself was also closed with accusation of brigading.

However what was most aberrant there was the assertion "If you want
something to show tile status then fine. I might even agree to an option
to get the tile URL or expire a tile (though the latter is perhaps
unlikely) but it needs to be properly integrated, not just dumping the
URL in another tab and letting the user fiddle with it."

As the issue is closed to non-collaborators I don't find any other place
to bring this up than here. Every person who has put their name to the
discussions, for and against, has done tremendous work for OpenStreetMap
- that is never in doubt.

But removing functionality and then denying it to be re-added based on
very little but personal objective is unhelpful and detrimental.

What should have been a great patch with addition of context menu is
turning into an issue because of one very simple change and resistance
to tweaking it.

Denigrating active mappers because they are "the 0.001%" of the user
base is hardly a solid reason - nor is "what makes good UX for the 99%
not what will make the 1% a little happier".

Did the default map suddenly become a commercial entity overnight which
thinks of margins and market share? If so I'd like to see the result of
the A/B testing that validated removing the functionality of viewing
tiles directly.

--Jói / Stalfur