[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Feb 24 11:07:25 UTC 2017

On Friday 24 February 2017, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> As evident in the discussion on issue
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1446
> there are several people interested in maintaining functionality that
> existed only a few days ago - being able to view single tiles just as
> easily as before.
>
> [...]

I think the key here is to have more diversity and not insist on every
functionality that could be desirable to be present on
openstreetmap.org.  Certainly this would seem convenient but it
ultimately will never be possible and it would be extremely hard to
maintain.

I for example really miss a coordinate display for the mouse position
but there are plenty of other map interfaces that offer this so no big
deal.

When closing the discussion Tom clearly stated what kind of solution he
considers acceptable:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1446#issuecomment-282233549

Everyone is entitled to disagree with that but you'd also have to ask
yourself why the outlined solution is not acceptable for you.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/