[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Michael Zangl openstreetmap at michael.fam-zangl.net
Fri Feb 24 12:11:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

A few words of someone who is just "using" the OSM website:

I personally think the current Menu is full enough. We should focus on
making that menu better for normal visitors. I could not really think of
a use case where a normal user would want to see a specific map tile. In
my opinion, they should not even know that map tiles exist. If you want
to export a part of the map, use the image functionality in the export tab.

I like that the main site has some dev stuff on it and is sort of a
browser for the database. But for many people, it is the first point
where they get in touch with OSM. And they don't know what a attribute
list is, they don't know about relations and for them, most
functionality of the page is not usable (changesets, object queries,
...). Compared to other map pages, the page is really "technical" the
way it is now.

I support the decision to not include that link to the tile source on
the website: This is a not a dev playground, this is a website that
should be used by millions of normal users. It should provide an entry
point for people that want to improve the OSM database. It should not be
a maintenance tool.

Michael