[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Feb 24 11:41:23 UTC 2017

On 24/02/17 11:33, Dave F wrote:

> On 24/02/2017 11:19, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> Well it was a little odd that we suddenly got several people who are
>> not regular commenters turning up in the space of a few minute to add
>> "me too" style responses.
>
> What's wrong with that? There are numerous discussions in Dev that I
> have no interest in, but on occasion there's something relevant to my
> OSM usage & I will make a comment. This current topic appears to be
> relevant to a few other users.

The problem is that there is a subset of people that think tickets are a
popularity contest and that if they can just get enough people to vote
for a ticket it will be accepted/implemented/whatever.

That's not how it works however, in almost any open source project in
fact, because things are done because people want to work on them and
are accepted when they are the right thing, whether they are being asked
for by one person or a hundred people.

Even if a hundred people turned up to say they would use this that tells
us nothing about the other million mappers that have no idea what github
even is so it's really not helpful to fill everybody's mail boxes up
with "+1" messages that we're all just going to ignore anyway.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/