[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

William Temperley willtemperley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:04:41 UTC 2017

On 24 February 2017 at 16:14, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> On 24/02/17 14:43, Blake Girardot HOT/OSM wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 24/02/2017 11:19, Tom Hughes wrote:
>>>
>>> Well it was a little odd that we suddenly got several people who are not
>>>>

>>> What's wrong with that? There are numerous discussions in Dev that I
>>> have no
>>> interest in, but on occasion there's something relevant to my OSM usage
>>> & I
>>> will make a comment. This current topic appears to be relevant to a few
>>> other users.
>>>
>>> OSM Github is not a private club. You should be welcoming other
>>> contributors, not 'closing' on them.
>>>

>> I second this 100%!
>>
>> If something is of interest to someone and they know other
>> stakeholders who have similar use cases or the feature is important to
>> them, getting them to actually contribute their input is really an
>> invaluable opportunity for developers.
>>

> An issue tracker is not a general discussion board though, and there has
> to be some sort of limit to discussions there if we're not all going to be
> driven insane.
>
> The people that were turning up in this case were not saying adding new
> information by saying "I use that to do X" where X was something new that
> nobody had mentioned before that might change the balance of whether it was
> worth doing but rather they were just asserting that they used the feature
> like the previous commenters - they were adding quantity to the discussion
> not quality.
>
> I don't normally lock issues, so in the vast majority of cases people are
> welcome to comment on closed issues if they have some new information to
> add, and if that leads to a closed issue being reopened then that is fine.
>
> I lock issues when people are continuing to post in a way which is not
> useful and doesn't add anything - restating a position over and over again
> without adding new information is not meaningful discussion and when that
> happens I may decide to lock the issue.
>
> The alternative (to preserve my sanity) is that I simply unsubscribe from
> those issues and leave people to waffle on in an echo chamber but I'm not
> really sure that's better for anybody is it?

I agree with Tom that an issue tracker is not a discussion board.

The way it plays out is that the 0.1% with the (edge) use-case will come
across the issue, because it affects them and they searched for it.
Nobody else will know or care about its existence, because it hasn't
affected them. The result is therefore a very one-sided debate, and the
developer feels rail-roaded.

I would suggest a new thread on this list (which is a discussion board)
with a subject something like "Show tile image option removed from OSM
website".
This can then be linked to from the offending issue and Tom can get on with
his good work.