[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Дмитрий Киселев dmitry.v.kiselev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:24:15 UTC 2017

My five cents:

at this moment, we have some widely used resources such as osm.org and osm
carto,
started and threated as single persons gh repository.

And we (osm community) don't have a way to discuss and evaluate changes in
collaborative way.
Usually maintainer just decides "Do I love this feature or not" and that's
a kind of a problem.

Yes "+ one" can say nothing about millions of other users, but neighter
main maintainer can.

I think we have to have key features as osm.org and main style maintained
in more open way.

Regards, Dmitry.

> On 24 February 2017 at 16:14, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/17 14:43, Blake Girardot HOT/OSM wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> I second this 100%!
>>>
>>> If something is of interest to someone and they know other
>>> stakeholders who have similar use cases or the feature is important to
>>> them, getting them to actually contribute their input is really an
>>> invaluable opportunity for developers.
>>>

>> An issue tracker is not a general discussion board though, and there has
>> to be some sort of limit to discussions there if we're not all going to be
>> driven insane.
>>
>> The people that were turning up in this case were not saying adding new
>> information by saying "I use that to do X" where X was something new that
>> nobody had mentioned before that might change the balance of whether it was
>> worth doing but rather they were just asserting that they used the feature
>> like the previous commenters - they were adding quantity to the discussion
>> not quality.
>>
>> I don't normally lock issues, so in the vast majority of cases people are
>> welcome to comment on closed issues if they have some new information to
>> add, and if that leads to a closed issue being reopened then that is fine.
>>
>> I lock issues when people are continuing to post in a way which is not
>> useful and doesn't add anything - restating a position over and over again
>> without adding new information is not meaningful discussion and when that
>> happens I may decide to lock the issue.
>>
>> The alternative (to preserve my sanity) is that I simply unsubscribe from
>> those issues and leave people to waffle on in an echo chamber but I'm not
>> really sure that's better for anybody is it?
>>

> I agree with Tom that an issue tracker is not a discussion board.
>
> The way it plays out is that the 0.1% with the (edge) use-case will come
> across the issue, because it affects them and they searched for it.
> Nobody else will know or care about its existence, because it hasn't
> affected them. The result is therefore a very one-sided debate, and the
> developer feels rail-roaded.
>
> I would suggest a new thread on this list (which is a discussion board)
> with a subject something like "Show tile image option removed from OSM
> website".
> This can then be linked to from the offending issue and Tom can get on
> with his good work.

Thank you for your time. Best regards.
Dmitry.