[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Feb 24 16:34:46 UTC 2017

On 24/02/17 16:24, Дмитрий Киселев wrote:

 > at this moment, we have some widely used resources such as osm.org
 > and osm carto, started and threated as single persons gh repository.

Actually carto has had multiple maintainers for some time. Indeed the
original maintainer, who I assume you are referring to, is not actually
doing very much these days.

While osm.org has only one maintainer we have been getting some more
contributors recently. Andy has been refactoring the tests to use
factories instead of fixtures (a big job) and Herve has been updating
the emails we send out to start with.

> And we (osm community) don't have a way to discuss and evaluate changes
> in collaborative way.

That can certainly work, and I've discussed it with people in the past
although not everybody has always agreed with the idea.

The key thing is that you need some mechanism for appointing people to
that circle of maintainers who get to vote on which things should be
included and which shouldn't. On most projects that is done by promoting
from those making useful contributions, so it's hard to move in that
direction until we can get more people involved.

Note that when I say vote here I don't necessarily mean literally as
there are different models - some projects have a formal vote of some
sort for each feature (often requiring at least one +1 and no -1 for
example) while others allow maintainers to decide on their own but with
a reversion mechanism if somebody objects.

Note that you do need to preselect the voting group, otherwise anybody
that can drum up enough +1's can get anything in.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/