[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:57:53 UTC 2017

Am 24.02.2017 um 12:19 schrieb Tom Hughes:

> More specifically there were a number of people asserting that this
> feature was somehow to all mappers and I was trying to make the point
> that really that wasn't true at all and that the was majority of mappers
> would never have any use for it.

Well, even the first ever book on OSM written by Frederik and Jochen
back in 2010 describes a manual procedure to append /status and /dirty
to tile URLs. Also, the approach has been described a number of times on
OSM Forum and Help and even been recommended to absolute newbies on
different occasions. I'm pretty sure that folks who have been around for
some time at least have some passive knowledge about it.

As a side note, 'fsmap' created by user SammysHP has a nice right-click
context menu to show the current tile, check its status and request
re-rendering. Maybe that could be something worth considering for
osm.org as well?

http://www.sammyshp.de/fsmap/#18/51.01486/13.63683