[OSM-dev] size of postgresql database - without flat file

Walter Nordmann wnordmann at gmx.de
Sat Jan 28 23:00:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

i'm just installing my brand new server to get my applications (missing
boundaries and many more) running again. The server has 2x 960GB SSD and
1x 2TB SATA disk installed.

I'm doing a full planet import using osm2pgsql 0.92. This time i'm doing
the import without flat file, because i would like to use the nodes in
planet_osm_nodes for some new queries.

But: planet_osm_nodes got an actual size of 785 GB, which is much much
more than i exspected. Is that the usual size or may be, i'm doing
something wrong?

my import batch:

-------------------------------------

# no more Flat File
# + extra_attributes

set -x
cd /osm/db/$1/create
OSM2PGSQL=/usr/local/bin/osm2pgsql

$OSM2PGSQL --verbose \
            --create \
            --slim \
            --exclude-invalid-polygon \
            --style /osm/db/wno_2017.style \
            --port 5432 \
            --database $1 \
            --latlon \
            --username postgres \
            --hstore-all \
            --hstore-add-index \
            --tablespace-main-data  $1_ttmp \
            --tablespace-main-index $1_is1 \
            --tablespace-slim-data  $1_ttmp \
            --tablespace-slim-index $1_is2 \
            -C 25000 \
            --cache-strategy optimized \
            --extra-attributes \
            --number-processes 12 \
            --keep-coastlines \
            --multi-geometry \
import/$2

called: do_import planet3 planet-latest.osm.bz2

any hints?

Regards
walter