[OSM-dev] GSoC 17 : Refactor the DB schema for better usability on access patterns

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Mon Mar 6 10:31:04 UTC 2017

Hello Pulkit,

I'm Darafei, I proposed the project and ready to mentor it.

First page to look at for this project is
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Database - it describes the current
state, used software, schema and links to relevant spots in software.

I've done a small proof of concept implementation
https://github.com/Komzpa/fastmap. It's not properly tested and not in any
way integrated with any of API web services, although shows a lot better
performance even without major schema refactoring.

You can start with setting it up and playing in Postgres console, and try
adapting test cases for /map call from cgimap onto it:
https://github.com/zerebubuth/openstreetmap-cgimap/tree/master/test

This will give you the most impression of what the project is about in
shortest time.

Don't hesitate to write to me directly, https://t.me/komzpa for Telegram,
or @komzpa on OSM Slack https://osmus-slack.herokuapp.com/.