[OSM-dev] Programatic reconstruction of postal code areas

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Mar 29 08:20:40 UTC 2017

On 29/03/17 08:58, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> On 29.03.2017 09:10, Alex K wrote:
>>   * For one, this type of information is already part of
>>     OSM: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dpostal_code
>
> Generally we don't like data that is impossible (or difficult e.g.
> "knocking on doors") to verify on the ground, but we do make exceptions
> for admin boundaries and, usually, postal code boundaries.

If the postal code boundary is a genuine thing that exists then sure.

I don't know about the countries in question, but in the countries that
I do know about there is no such thing as a postal code boundary because
the authority that assigns postal codes doesn't do so using geographic
areas like that, and doesn't special any specific boundary.

Rather they are just defined by a list of addresses, being a set of
addresses that are a convenient group to deliver to.

Now obviously you can draw any number of shapes around those addresses
but none of those shapes is in any way an official or definitive
boundary for the postal code.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)