[OSM-dev] Programatic reconstruction of postal code areas

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 29 09:07:40 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-29 10:20, Tom Hughes wrote:

> Rather they are just defined by a list of addresses, being a set of
> addresses that are a convenient group to deliver to.
>
> Now obviously you can draw any number of shapes around those addresses
> but none of those shapes is in any way an official or definitive
> boundary for the postal code.

True, and depending on the level of detail of the postal code this will
be very artificial boundary in the Netherlands.
The number part of a dutch postal code would in most cases result into a
proper boundary, but if you go to the number+letter part, wou will
include streets in the area that do not belong to that postal code, but
will also not be in the shape of the proper postal code because there
are no houses there. The street behind my house will be one such case.

So, you will be able to find the proper postal code beloning to a house,
but given a certain postal code, you could get directions to the wrong
location.

Regards,
Maarten