[OSM-dev] Planet file with preprocessed lines/polygons

Tim Teulings tim at framstag.com
Fri May 12 17:12:22 UTC 2017

Hello Christoph,

> when it comes to read raw OSM dumps it's quite straightforward to parse
> nodes: their geometry properties can be read alongside with their tags.
> When it comes to linestrings and relations it is more complicated to access
> their geometry: the geometry of referenced nodes needs to be combined into
> lines and polygons. Also one needs to decide which linestrings/relations
> are actually lines and which are areas.

> I know how this can be done but I am wondering if there are preprocessed
> datasets around that have geometries already precomputed. That would make
> sense to me as a lot of people face the sample problem and this step is
> quite resource intense.

> A huge file containing all osm items as geojson would be my dreamcase. Does
> this exist?

libosmscout (http://libosmscout.sf.net) does such preprocessing and
much more for building its internal database. Purpose of libosmscout
is offline map rendering, routing and location/POI lookup.

It currently does not export its data as geojson (or vector tiles
while we are at it). It should be possible though to implement this:
Either on the fly based on (bounding box based) database queries or as
an export. libosmscout is already used for implementing a simple,
local tile server (..and more, see
https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server) based on the libosmscout
database.
--