[OSM-dev] Planet file with preprocessed lines/polygons

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Fri May 12 17:28:18 UTC 2017

The answer hugely depends on your task. There is no such preprocessed geojson planet dump, because it would be huge and a pain to use.

Most people use libosmium or pyosmium to scan through the features in an OSM file. You will get geometries and even reconstructed multipolygons. See http://osmcode.org/

Then there are QA Tiles, a whole planet split into small tiles in the MVT format. People use them to build validation and QA services, like counting buildings and finding geometry errors. Links and a few examples are here: https://www.mapbox.com/blog/osm-qa-tiles/

To get billions of GeoJSON objects for every feature in the planet, you can use osm2pgsql to import the planet dump into a PostgreSQL+PostGIS database. It will make three tables for points, lines and polygons. After that, pgsql can give you geometries and tags in geojson format: you would have to make three queries and assemble the result into one big geojson file. Or process these on the spot. The drawback is that you would need half a terabyte for that.

Ilya