[OSM-dev] OSRM on osm.org not working

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Oct 1 13:57:57 UTC 2017

On 01/10/17 14:28, joost schouppe wrote:

> Apparently, OSRM routing on osm.org <http://osm.org> has been down for a
> few days. I have no idea how the implementation really works, or where
> the correct tracker would be. But I'm sure someone here knows.

See https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/1637.

Unfortunately the OSRM demo server that we were using was taken offline
without any warning I think on the assumption that we would be happy to
simply switch to using a free account on the commercial Mapbox routing
platform in it's place but I'm reluctant to do that.

The problem is that as far as I know there aren't really any practical
non-commercial routing solutions using OSM data that we could switch to
without having to run our own, and that will obviously take time to arrange.

In the short term we likely need to merge that PR with a few tweaks but
there remains a question about how we avoid giving undue promotion to
one particular commercial solution.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)