[OSM-dev] Generalisation

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:09:43 UTC 2018

> No, buildings are not the most interesting. I once generalized all
> buildings in Denmark. It only reduced the storage by maybe 5%, at the high
> cost of heavily distorting a large number of them. Most buildings in OSM
> are in fact already in their most generalized state: just 4 nodes. Unless
> you think triangles is a suitable representation ;-).

it really depends on the zoom levels (=detail you want) and building
structure. If there is a closed building block there may be a lot of those
4-node-houses which all together could be generalized to one 4 node block.
If there are scattered houses in a rural setting, you still can omit the
smaller ones or make one bigger structure by combining several smaller
ones. Many buildings also do have more than 4 nodes.

Cheers,
Martin