[OSM-dev] Top Ten Tasks

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Apr 26 15:08:07 UTC 2018

Some of you may remember the OSM wiki's "Top Ten Tasks" page. It
provides an overview of widely anticipated feature ideas for OSM's
software ecosystem, which could have a major positive influence on OSM
if they were implemented.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks

The page has recently been updated by the Engineering Working Group
based on suggestions gathered from the community. Although such lists
are inevitably subjective, we hope that it can still be useful: As a
quick overview for new developers, a place to find relevant previous
work, and as an impulse to finally tackle some of these issues.

Here's the tasks we chose to include (in no particular order):

* Moderation queue
* Localized map rendering
* OAuth login to wiki
* OSM API deleted items call
* List of changeset discussions for a user
* Better tools for welcoming new users
* Area datatype
* Improved activity/history tab
* Clickable POIs on the frontpage
* Pedestrian and bike routing on areas

To people who have been part of the community for a while, the tasks on
the list should not come as a surprise. That's by design, as it wasn't
our goal to present controversial new proposals. If you're looking for
things to work on, these tasks would be essentially guaranteed to earn
you the community's gratitude. :)

Tobias (on behalf of EWG)