[OSM-dev] iD news - 2.12.0 released 🎉

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:48:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 19:02, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> On 10.12.2018 03:14, Bryan Housel wrote:
> > iD now displays linked data if a feature has a wikidata tag, and will
> > protect fields like name and brand from direct editing.
>
> Can you elaborate on the logic behind this a bit more?
>
> On first reading it sounds like if I set a wikidata tag on something, iD
> will load name and brand from wikidata and not allow editing of those
> fields but that certainly can't be right. Which fields exactly are
> protected, what does protection mean, and by what is this protection
> triggered?

If you search for a preset with a brand, eg. McDonalds and select that
it will populate:

amenity=fast_food
cuisine=burger
name=McDonald's
brand=McDonalds
brand:wikidata=Q38076
brand:wikipedia=en:McDonald's

Then the name field is locked from editing in your session so you
can't change it, unless you go down to the advanced "All tags" section
where you can edit any of these locked free form tags.