[OSM-dev] OSM->PostGIS Python tool?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Dec 21 16:45:35 UTC 2018

Spencer,

I've done numerous Python based projects around OSM data, but I usually treat the data loading as a separate process outside of my applications.

For bulk loading OSM data into PostGIS I would recommend osmosis if you want a lossless representation with optional direct access to geometry. osmosis can also be used to keep your image of OSM up-to-date. Note that initial loading of the entire OSM planet takes quite some time (more than a day last time I did it).

If you just require access to small chunks of data at any given time (city level or smaller) you can ingest the data on-demand using the Overpass server, for which I maintain a python interface. Overpass also allows you to target very specific subsets of OSM data. Depending on your use case that may be a preferred option.
--
 Martijn van Exel
 m at rtijn.org