[OSM-dev] Question Regarding Libosmium

Kyle Frownfelter ksf at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 8 13:17:36 UTC 2018

Hey all, I hope this message finds each and every one of you well! I write to ask a question about libosmium and the best way I should implement functionality. I'm programming a GPS application for use by visually impaired/blind users, and one of the two most basic functions that I want to implement are announcing the current street the user is on, and the next intersection based upon the heading of the user. If I get GPS coordinates from a receiver I should be able to feed that to libosmium, but where I'm confused is how I can query OSM data to find out where the user is at in relation to the coordinates. From reading about OSM data I know that getting a list of ways is probably the first step, but ways seem to be a big list of nodes on a line, nothing more. Would I need to draw a box around the current coordinate and find out which nodes are closest and if those nodes relate back to a particular way? I'm very new to OSM and libosmium, so I'm hoping somebody who has more experience than me can point me in the right direction of thought or methodology.

Thank you so much for your help.