[OSM-dev] GDPR implementation on planet.osm.org

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Jun 20 15:18:51 UTC 2018

Am 20.06.2018 um 16:50 schrieb Jochen Topf:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 03:08:52PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>> instead of arguing that this data needs to be public for everyone.
>> Any judge will laugh at you if you say that the information that user
>> John Smith has mapped something at 4:23 on the 3rd of January needs to
>> be public for everyone. Why would it, outside of a very narrow number of
>> QA related use cases?
> If you publish a book you can't later force everybody who bought the book
> to remove the author either.
Wrong analogy.

Nobody is asking that pure consumers of OSM data to hunt through their
data and remove deleted users ids and display names,  but just as a
book could be removed from circulation by the author/publisher etc. and
they could very well ask downstream book store and distributors to stop
selling and distributing the book, we and downstream distributors of the
data  need to stop distributing and publishing user data when the user
wants it deleted. To reuse your analogy we are removing the authors name
from new books sold and allowing it to otherwise remain in circulation.

Simon