[OSM-dev] Generalisation

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed May 2 19:02:18 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 02 May 2018, Marco Boeringa wrote:
> [...]
>
> However, as to interesting stuff to read: our national Kadaster of
> the Netherlands, is actually the very first and only national mapping
> organization world wide, that has successfully managed to implement a
> fully automated generalization work flow for generating 1:50k maps
> from 1:10k maps, [...]

That is largely marketing hyperbole.  The fact that no one tends to
define the term "fully automated" and "successfully" in such context
should serve as a warning.

Institutional mapping in various countries has used algorithmic geometry
processing in production of maps for quite some time but most of them
(including the ones in the Netherlands) tend to still maintain a
traditional view of the cartographic process.  They are for example
speaking of a two year update interval which would be quite curious if
the processes were indeed fully automated according to the common
understanding of this term.

And also it is ultimately: Demo or it didn't happen - at the moment the
only thing you can get at 1:50k is the old style map:

https://www.pdok.nl/nl/producten/pdok-downloads/basisregistratie-topografie/topraster/topraster-actueel/top50raster

and the processed geometry data set (without any labeling information):

https://www.pdok.nl/nl/producten/pdok-downloads/basisregistratie-topografie/topnl/topnl-actueel/top50nl

Without a styled map rendering this is not really something you can
seriously evaluate (although you can see quite a few cases of geometric
incompatibilities in the geometries).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/