[OSM-dev] Generalisation

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Wed May 2 20:37:06 UTC 2018

Christoph,

This is a bit like the Vatican saying to Galileo that the earth doesn't
spin around the sun, but the other way around...

Have you even looked at the links I provided? I can assure you (living
in the Netherlands myself, I think I have better appreciation of this
specific effort), that this is no "marketing hyperbole".

They did fully automate the generalization process from a 1:10k base to
1:25k and 1:50k. The two years update interval is the amount of time
needed to update the base 1:10k TOP10NL vector map.

Even if you fully automate the generalization process to produce medium
and small scale maps from large scale ones, you still need time to
update the base 1:10k large scale one. Two years updating means they fly
each part of the entire country - capturing 1:5k high resolution stereo
aerials - in that period of time. That two year cycle is a huge
achievement, in most countries, the update cycle of topographic sheets
is minimum 5-10 years, in some cases 25 years..., meaning it takes e.g.
a minimum 5-10 years before a certain publicized map sheet, is updated
to the latest on the ground state as captured by new aerials (which may
already be outdated by the time they are truly processed to map sheets).
The two year cycle in the Netherlands, is in fact to a large extent the
result of the automated generalization employed for the medium and small
scale maps, freeing up workforce to maintain the base 1:10k TOP10NL
vector map, instead of needing to maintain multiple map series concurrently.

"And also it is ultimately: Demo or it didn't happen - at the moment the
only thing you can get at 1:50k is the old style map:
https://www.pdok.nl/nl/producten/pdok-downloads/basisregistratie-topografie/topraster/topraster-actueel/top50raster"

This is a serious misunderstanding. This is the a rasterized version of
the new style 1:50k vector map based on generalization, that just
happens to look very close to the originally manually generalized one:
that was the whole target of the effort. They make available the rasters
for clients, as it is just an easy way to consume the data, styled and all.

"and the processed geometry data set (without any labeling information):
https://www.pdok.nl/nl/producten/pdok-downloads/basisregistratie-topografie/topnl/topnl-actueel/top50nl"

And here you are actually pointing out one of the 1:50k vector products
(in GML format) that they make available based on the described new work
flows, so I don't understand your argument?...

Marco