[OSM-dev] GDPR related changes to web site and API

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 7 08:03:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

(this has been on osmf-talk already but I think it should go to a wider
dev audience)

The LWG has made some recommendations about what we need to change on
the web site and API to comply with future European data protection
rules. On the whole this boils down to "logged-in users get the same
stuff they get today, but guests who are not logged in will not see
details about users".

The detailed LWG recommendations are here
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/8/88/GDPR_Position_Paper.pdf. I
have made a list of what I believe needs to be changed on the API and
web site, here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GDPR/Affected_Services

It would be good if some more people with a solid knowledge of the Rails
code, or people who use it a lot, could cross-check that and point out
potential issues.

We'll also be needing people who are willing and able to implement the
changes once we agree on what's necessary ;)

Bye
Frederik