[OSM-dev] iD news - v2.8.0, GSoC, OSM-US Hackathon 5/21-5/22 at Mapbox DC!

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Sat May 5 02:59:29 UTC 2018

Hello all!  I’ve got a bunch of exciting items to share about iD - please check out the news and share..

💬  iD 2.8.0 released, including Community Index
We've changed how things look on the post-upload screen. Now after saving your edits, you will see a list of OpenStreetMap communities that are active around the area where you are editing.  Reach out to nearby mappers and say hello!

If your local community group or meetup is missing, please open an issue or pull request here:
https://github.com/osmlab/osm-community-index/ <https://github.com/osmlab/osm-community-index/>

Changelog:
v2.8.0 changelog:  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#280 <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#280>

Twitter:
v2.8.0 announcement, community index: https://twitter.com/bhousel/status/985981732737314818 <https://twitter.com/bhousel/status/985981732737314818>

💻  Google Summer of Code!
OpenStreetMap is again participating in Google Summer of Code, and we have 2 projects to improve iD.  Welcome Princi and Thomas!

•  Princi Vershwal (mentored by Sajjad Anwar) will be adding support for viewing vector tiled data:
   https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Princi%20Vershwal/diary/43802 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Princi%20Vershwal/diary/43802>

•  Thomas Hervey (mentored by Marc Farra) will be adding support for OSM Notes:
   https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Thomas_Hervey/diary/43795 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Thomas_Hervey/diary/43795>

Twitter:
iD GSoC announcement:  https://twitter.com/bhousel/status/990337518754238469 <https://twitter.com/bhousel/status/990337518754238469>

👩‍💻  OSM US Spring Hackathon - 5/21-5/22 at Mapbox DC
Join us May 21-22 in Washington, DC at the Mapbox office for a 2 day OSM hackathon!
Stop by between 9am-6pm and work with us, followed by an evening social event.

This is the perfect opportunity to meet up with other developers, designers, and mappers in the OSM community and build something awesome. It could be a new feature for an open source project, a fun map style, a documentation or translation improvement, or something completely random.

Bring your laptops and your ideas. All are welcome!

Details and RSVP HERE:  https://osmhacks.splashthat.com/ <https://osmhacks.splashthat.com/>

Looking for ideas? Check out :
OSM Top 10 Tasks:  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks>
osmlab/osm-planning: https://github.com/osmlab/osm-planning <https://github.com/osmlab/osm-planning>