[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap Cartographic: A client-side rendered OpenStreetMap Carto

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon May 25 07:59:14 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-24 10:26 p.m., Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Thank you for making this, it looks like a lot of work!
>
> These client-side vector tiles at z8?
> (https://pnorman.dev.openstreetmap.org/cartographic/mapbox-gl.html)
>
> My laptop (2015 Macbook Pro, 16 GB RAM, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7) appears
> to use some effort to show areas with a large amount of data,
> For example if I view England + Wales on z8 and then move over to the
> Netherlands and then to Germany, at z7 and z8,
> CPU usage goes up to >100% for a time, and there is a
> noticeable delay. Perhaps part of this is a delay in serving the tiles?

Some of the tiles are decently large so could be slow to download, but
based on your CPU it's not that. More likely it's the high number of
vegetation and landuse features at those zooms. There are some things I
might be able to do reduce the feature count.

> It would be nice to see a demonstration of this applied server-side to
> produce raster tiles. Are there any samples of that yet?

There are a few examples of producing raster tiles from vector tiles and
a Mapbox GL style. Mapbox does this with Mapbox GL Native on the server,
but I don't believe they've released the exact software they use.
https://github.com/maptiler/tileserver-gl/ is open-source software that
generates raster tiles on demand.