[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap Cartographic: A client-side rendered OpenStreetMap Carto

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Mon May 25 08:15:06 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-25 09:59, Paul Norman via dev wrote:
> On 2020-05-24 10:26 p.m., Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> Thank you for making this, it looks like a lot of work!
>>
>> These client-side vector tiles at z8?
>> (https://pnorman.dev.openstreetmap.org/cartographic/mapbox-gl.html)
>>
>> My laptop (2015 Macbook Pro, 16 GB RAM, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7) appears
>> to use some effort to show areas with a large amount of data,
>> For example if I view England + Wales on z8 and then move over to the
>> Netherlands and then to Germany, at z7 and z8,
>> CPU usage goes up to >100% for a time, and there is a
>> noticeable delay. Perhaps part of this is a delay in serving the
>> tiles?
>
> Some of the tiles are decently large so could be slow to download, but
> based on your CPU it's not that. More likely it's the high number of
> vegetation and landuse features at those zooms. There are some things
> I might be able to do reduce the feature count.

I'm not noticing much slowness on my computer, but having a lot of cores
does help here I think. I won't notice it when my browser is using one
core (out of six) at 100%.
I did get some delay when zooming in, at first I thought "oh, only
motorways, that's not much" but after some 10 seconds I got landuse and
other roads.
Still, it looks to be a very simplified subset of the complete data. So
I'd be interested to see how this works on a full dataset.

Regards,
Maarten