[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap Cartographic: A client-side rendered OpenStreetMap Carto

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue May 26 05:23:31 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-26 06:24, Yves wrote:
> Le 26 mai 2020 03:58:50 GMT+02:00, Paul Norman via dev
> <dev at openstreetmap.org> a écrit :
>
>> Performance with normal basemaps and small stylesheets should be
>> acceptable.
>
> Reading this, I don't think I understand. However it makes me think of
> a raster basemap plus a vector overlay for labels to solve
> internationalization issue. How lightweight such an overlay could be?

You might run into problems when you have to place labels very exactly.
For low zoom that is not an issue, if a place name is a bit left or
right than that's no problem, but when you get to high zoom levels and
want to place lets say street names, than you have to know where to
place it and that means you have to know how the raster tile behind it
is rendered.

Regards,
Maarten