[OSM-dev] Osmupdate 0.4.5 fails (osmctools)

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:56:25 UTC 2021

On 2/23/21 10:31 AM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> On 23.02.2021 08:42, mmd wrote:
>> I doubt this will work. The new state.txt format only applies to
>> minutely diffs. If you happen to process hourly or daily diffs which are
>> still being generated using the old format, this will obviously no
>> longer work. When catching up, osmupdate would choose the most suitable
>> format (out of minutely, hourly and daily) to reduce the number of
>> downloads, so this is a real issue.
>
> You are absolutely right. I only looked at the minutely state file. In
> the hour/state.txt the comment is still present.

Perhaps that would be an option for users who can't patch their
osmupdate binary and want to update their local OSM data even though a
new osmupdate release is not yet available.

osmupdate has a few command line parameters to restrict the kind of diff
files it uses to update local OSM files.

>From the osmupdate help:

--hour
--day
        By default, osmupdate uses a combination of minutely, hourly
        and daily changefiles. If you want to limit these changefile
        categories, use one or two of these options and choose that
        category/ies you want to be used.

<<<

By specifying --hour (or additionally --day) on the command line,
processing is limited to hourly and daily diffs, which as we've seen
earlier on are still using the old format.

The data would no longer be up to date to the minute. Depending on the
use case, hourly updates may just be fine.

This is not meant as a permanent solution and should only be seen as an
option to get people going again that are stuck with their broken
pipeline. If you try this out, make sure to create a backup first.

Once a new osmupdate release is available, this workaround should be
removed asap.