[OSM-dev] GSoC 2021: OSM accepted, call for mentors + projects

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Mar 13 17:03:36 UTC 2021

Hi all,

OSM has been accepted as a mentoring organization for the 2021 Google
Summer of Code, and we're happy to already see some students interested
in contributing to OpenStreetMap's open source ecosystem.

We would still welcome additional mentors and project ideas. As a
developer or maintainer of a FOSS project around OSM, consider adding to
the project ideas page:
https://wiki.osm.org/Google_Summer_of_Code/2021/Project_ideas

Be aware that, as a change this year, we require that students have
already contributed in a small way to the software project that they
apply for – be that code, tests, documentation or similar. Some projects
have tried this in past years, and we've found that it helps us assess
whether students have the necessary skills. It also lets them become
productive contributors more quickly, which is important given the
reduced number of hours in a GSoC project compared to past years.

More on how applications work this year and other information is
available on https://wiki.osm.org/GSoC_2021

Yours,
Tobias