[Historic] welcome Historic OpenStreetMap, introductions

Aaron Straup Cope aaronofmontreal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:08:33 BST 2012

ZOMG!!! Old SF is the awesome!!!!

Hi all,

I'm Aaron. I am freshly arrived in NYC after 7 years in SF, 5 of them
spent at Flickr and the last 2 at Stamen. Highlights include:

* All the geo stuff at Flickr (6 years on Tuesday next...)

* The Burning Man tiles on Flickr as well as the "historical" BM tiles
(which they seem to have broken) as well as all the other OSM stuff

* Prettymaps and the map=yes projects

I'm now part of the nerd crew at the Cooper-Hewitt now and our mandate
is to figure out how to make the museum and all it's stuff native to the
web (and then actually build it).

At some point this will include maps – and the OSM stack – for all the
usual reasons as well as those that Jeff touched on.

In the meantime, I've been tinkering a lot with the idea of using
Git(hub) for storing and collecting data. Most of the test cases for
this have been around Where On Earth (WOE) data since it's familiar and
comfortable.

In the last couple of days I've been smushing the WOE data up with the
newly release Natural Earth files, and before that using OSM to derive
shapes (for airports).

https://github.com/straup/whereonearth-country

https://github.com/straup/whereonearth-state <-- not public yet but soon

https://github.com/straup/whereonearth-airport

https://github.com/straup/whereonearth-building

The CH has also been circling around this idea and there will be more to
come in the future:

http://labs.cooperhewitt.org/2012/releasing-collection-github/

Also: Frankie (Roberto) 's talk at SOTM09. Everything always comes back
to Frankie's talk.

Cheers,