[Historic] welcome Historic OpenStreetMap, introductions

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Aug 30 13:23:07 BST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> A long time coming
[ ... ]
> There's a lot to talk about, and there's a lot to experiment with. First,
> let's convene. A few of us have already joined the list. Feel free to extend
> the invite to other folks interested in this topic. And please do _introduce
> yourself_ and how you're interested in historic mapping.

Howdy.  I'm Richard and a local mapper.  Over the years I've met a few
mappers interested in various type of temporal mapping.  I'm pleased
that those with an interest in this data have a place to start
building solutions.

Their interests, if I can remember a few of them, have been as diverse as:

- tracking the growth and decline of a local cemetery as plots fill,
and are relocated, over the time scale of colonial Canada.
- mapping the ebb and flow of the extent of First Nations.
- not just this combined location of all Roman roads, but the
animation of their construction / destruction / etc.
- glaciers and ice ages.
- range of endangered / extinct species over time.

Now, what are we going to do about continental drift?  :-)

Best regards,
Richard