[Historic] welcome Historic OpenStreetMap, introductions

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:39:21 BST 2012

Hi,

I'm Tim, also known as chippy. Apart from a mapper and contributor to OSM
for years, I do the open source georectification / warper site at
http://mapwarper.net and for historical maps, this has been used for the
New York Public Library at http://maps.nypl.org to rectify thousands of
maps, and digitize tens of thousands of features from them. I am very
interested in an "OpenHistoricalMap" - we (EntropyFree / Topomancy) had
wanted to start a OHM project, but couldn't get the resources. I think a
community approach could be a better way to do stuff.

Talked about this way back in 2009 at SOTM in Amsterdam,
http://www.slideshare.net/chippy/open-historical-maps-at-state-of-the-map-sotm-2009-amsterdam
 .
At the conference there were a couple of other interesting historical talks
- and I think it really sparked a genuine interest in the community about
this subject.

At subsequent meetups and wherecamps - there's more and more interest,
talks and presentations about historical maps, and so I'm happy to say
hello to you all.

One thing that I would be interested in doing is looking at timelines - the
existing timeline libraries are either horribly old and complicated,  not
free or in flash. I think a good timeline could be an essential library -
and should be one that has consideration for geo built into it.

Cheers,

Tim