[OHM] Possibility to build a new Historic Project to OSM

Rodrigo Mariano rodmariano13 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 01:46:14 UTC 2017

​​
Hi Tim and Richard,

> Speaking of OpenHistoricalMap I think historic events bound to geography
would be welcome. The Historic Event proposal was for the different but of
course bigger OSM project.The example given in the wiki page was historic
battlefields which would be suitable.
> I think there could be discussion about notability. For example, if a
city records and notifies that an event occured in a place (e.g. Blue
Plaques) then we can say it's notable for sure. At any rate the event
should be able to be verified by another mapper.

I tried to describe a bit about the notation of the categories in wiki page
[1]. Is correct? (Or in the right way?)

> I don't think that more general events such as "crimes in 1930s" would be
appropriate in OHM however - at one geographical level this is statistical
information, and one that might be better linked to the historic geographic
area. At individual level it may not be notable - but a prominent
assasination might be.

I agree with you. In this case, "crimes" were a example.

> i have an ongoing interest in doing a battlefield project. i think we
need to think about what kind of framework we need to describe events, what
it should include and what it can omit. we probably want to develop use
cases so that we can think about how the pieces should go together.

Would the features of this framework be like the tags? Which types of data
and their attributes can be included? Example: buildings like churchs, that
have a name, start date and etc.

I have described the basics of historical tags on the wiki page [1].

To be able to do data insertion through API: do I need a specific
authorization? Or to insert data, do I need to create a server node
connected to OSM?

PS: I'm new on OSM. So excuse me for any "rookie" question.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pauliceia2.0

Regards,

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>
wrote:

> On 8/7/17 8:20 AM, Tim Waters wrote:
> > Hi Rodrigo,
> >
> > Speaking of OpenHistoricalMap I think historic events bound to
> > geography would be welcome. The Historic Event proposal was for the
> > different but of course bigger OSM project.The example given in the
> > wiki page was historic battlefields which would be suitable.
> i have an ongoing interest in doing a battlefield project. i think we need
> to think about what kind of framework we need to describe events, what
> it should include and what it can omit. we probably want to develop use
> cases so that we can think about how the pieces should go together.
>
> > I think there could be discussion about notability. For example, if a
> > city records and notifies that an event occured in a place (e.g. Blue
> > Plaques) then we can say it's notable for sure. At any rate the event
> > should be able to be verified by another mapper.
> we also should probably have a discussion about documentation standards,
> recognizing that not all historical events have detailed documentation. i
> can find extensive documentation for many battles of the American Civil
> War. the documentation for most of the battles of the Revolutionary War
> is much thinner.
>
> richard
>
> --
> rwelty at averillpark.net
>  Averill Park Networking - GIS & IT Consulting
>  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
>  Java - Web Applications - Search

Rodrigo M. Mariano