[HOT] Ivory Coast administrative boundaries

Wed Dec 22 22:56:47 GMT 2010

At 2010-12-22 09:44, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:
>Maplibrary.org is publishing basic administrative boundaries of Ivory
>Coast : http://www.maplibrary.org/stacks/Africa/Cote%20d%60Ivoire/index.php

One problem I never resolved is
"DECRET_N__2008-96_DU_05_MARS_2008_PORTANT_CREATION__DE_10_NOUVEAUX_DEPARTEMENTS.pdf",
which supposedly created 10 new départements. The document was very sparse,
and gave no details, other than which département was being split to create
the new one. Because this post-dates the maplibrary.org dataset (2007) by
their admission, I suppose it could be considered accurate as of that date,
but this is something that should be resolved at some point.

>According to the OSM wiki, license should be PD :
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#The_Map_Library
>
>I have therefore two questions :
>* Is someone aware about the license ? PD or not ?

Someone in tune with legal issues should look at their source list - I
wasn't completely sure it was all PD.

>* Would someone be interested in doing a clean import of this data ?

I'm not sure there can be such a thing. If there is an existing border,
even if it's not edited, who's to say which one is right? Now, it could be
(and has been) interesting work researching discrepancies, but it's a big
job most of the time.

NE2 and I spent a while just to research a very small section of the US/MX
border (~ 25.934, -97.569), coming to the conclusion that some official
datasets, including UN's SALB, were wrong. Unlike those sources that have a
straight latitudinal line through the area, Maplibrary.org does show the
correct shape of the border - following the river - but is offset ~150m
north. I don't know if that is within the expected accuracy for that
dataset or not (
http://www.maplibrary.org/stacks/Central%20America/Mexico/MEX_admin.kmz ).