[HOT] Ivory Coast administrative boundaries

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 15:41:11 GMT 2010

Alain & all-

I reached out to the classic UN custodians on administrative boundary data:
GAUL 1 SALB projects, OCHA, the UN Cartographic Section (UNCS) and through
them the UN peace keeping mission in CIV to seek their guidance on which of
the admin data sets shall be considered as the authoritative data sets. I'll
document the answers on the wiki and revert to the list but sugest that we
wait for these updates prior running an import.

Ciao
Nicolas

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net<Alan_Mintz%2BOSM at earthlink.net>
> wrote:

> At 2010-12-22 09:44, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:
>
>> Maplibrary.org is publishing basic administrative boundaries of Ivory
>> Coast :
>> http://www.maplibrary.org/stacks/Africa/Cote%20d%60Ivoire/index.php
>>

> One problem I never resolved is
> "DECRET_N__2008-96_DU_05_MARS_2008_PORTANT_CREATION__DE_10_NOUVEAUX_DEPARTEMENTS.pdf",
> which supposedly created 10 new départements. The document was very sparse,
> and gave no details, other than which département was being split to create
> the new one. Because this post-dates the maplibrary.org dataset (2007) by
> their admission, I suppose it could be considered accurate as of that date,
> but this is something that should be resolved at some point.
>

>  According to the OSM wiki, license should be PD :
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#The_Map_Library
>>
>> I have therefore two questions :
>> * Is someone aware about the license ? PD or not ?
>>

> Someone in tune with legal issues should look at their source list - I
> wasn't completely sure it was all PD.
>

>  * Would someone be interested in doing a clean import of this data ?
>>

> I'm not sure there can be such a thing. If there is an existing border,
> even if it's not edited, who's to say which one is right? Now, it could be
> (and has been) interesting work researching discrepancies, but it's a big
> job most of the time.
>
> NE2 and I spent a while just to research a very small section of the US/MX
> border (~ 25.934, -97.569), coming to the conclusion that some official
> datasets, including UN's SALB, were wrong. Unlike those sources that have a
> straight latitudinal line through the area, Maplibrary.org does show the
> correct shape of the border - following the river - but is offset ~150m
> north. I don't know if that is within the expected accuracy for that dataset
> or not (
> http://www.maplibrary.org/stacks/Central%20America/Mexico/MEX_admin.kmz ).
>
> --
> Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.net>

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti
Mobile (Haiti): +509 389 583 05