[HOT] Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Dietmar ostrmap at diesei.de
Thu Apr 21 15:42:05 BST 2011

Hi,

i'm a novice hot mapper and first time active in Japan now.

In the first time, a lot of people from other countries were active in
japan. If seems to me, that now even there are very few people still working
remotely on it.

I suggest, the number of people, who really stay on a theme, when the
locally or worlwide public focus lost, is very low.

On the german talk-de mailing list, very soon after 11th of March, a thread
started, if we got information, who could use our newly added data in japan
in the desaster area. I thought, it was very early to await a feedback from
there, but sooner or (not to late) later feedback from the hot areas back to
the remotly engaged people would help really to stay the interest on the hot
areas.

More generally, working on hot themes: i feel a big gap between my standard
osm community in germany, in contact via mailing lists oder forum threads
and my locally osm group in town versus the other part of osm, the hot
group.

For me, it seems to be a closed or better say, a small, very engaged (timely
and deep) group of people and it seems to me hard to get in contact and
possible to find a place for me there.
There were two invitations to come close to the group: february in haiti and
i got the information of a camp end of march in bretagne, france. Both were
unfortunately to far away for me.
If there would be a meeting or weekend in germany or, for example, at the
sotm europe in vienna, it would help to bring the hot view to new osm
people.

And it would be very good to get information, what kind of support could
help, even when the interested mapper has not so much time to spend.

Greetings,

Dietmar