[HOT] Maps of Northern Kenya and Somalia

Bob Kerr openstreetmapcraigmillar at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 11:25:11 BST 2011

Hi,

I am finding it frustrating that I cannot get decent satellite images of the famine struck regions of northern Kenya and Somalia, I have taken it upon myself to add comments to any story in the Independent newspaper that concerns this story. I am just pointing out that with all the billions of dollars of aid that is slowly going to the region that there are no publicly available maps for the region. With the UN and the largest Aid Agencies going there, yet there is no discussion about the necessity of maps to help these agencies or to start planning for long term development. The fact that the refugee camp in Daadab has been there for 20 years and yet there is no map of it.

So I am asking for a little help. If you see an article in a newspaper about the famine can you post a comment about public maps and the availability of UN Satellite images. We all pay for the  UN so I would have thought that the images should be under a public domain licence

The Independent newspaper is here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/

but if your prefer you own newspaper then thats good too

Cheers

Bob