[HOT] Maps of Northern Kenya and Somalia

Peter STUMPF Peter.STUMPF at unoosa.org
Thu Aug 4 11:34:57 BST 2011

Dear Bob,

please have a look at the compilation we're providing on our Knowledge
Portal: http://www.un-spider.org/horn-of-africa-2011
You can find maps / products on different areas, which are being updated
on a regular basis.
Unfortunately there is no raw data available yet, but therefore some high
res products as JPG and/or KML
Please let me know, if you find it useful and if you find some more data
out there in the web.

Regards,

Peter
https://twitter.com/#!/UN_SPIDER

Peter Stumpf

Associate Expert

UN-SPIDER
United Nations Platform for Space-based Information
for Disaster Management and Emergency Response

UNOOSA
United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs

Hermann-Ehlers-Str. 10
53113 Bonn
Germany

Phone: +49 228 815 0681
Skype: p.stumpf
e-mail: peter.stumpf at unoosa.org
Internet: http://www.un-spider.org

Bob Kerr <openstreetmapcraigmillar at yahoo.co.uk>
Thursday, 4 August 2011 12:26
Please respond to
Bob Kerr <openstreetmapcraigmillar at yahoo.co.uk>

hot <hot at openstreetmap.org>
cc

Subject
[HOT] Maps of Northern Kenya and Somalia

Hi,

I am finding it frustrating that I cannot get decent satellite images of
the famine struck regions of northern Kenya and Somalia, I have taken it
upon myself to add comments to any story in the Independent newspaper that
concerns this story. I am just pointing out that with all the billions of
dollars of aid that is slowly going to the region that there are no
publicly available maps for the region. With the UN and the largest Aid
Agencies going there, yet there is no discussion about the necessity of
maps to help these agencies or to start planning for long term
development. The fact that the refugee camp in Daadab has been there for
20 years and yet there is no map of it.

So I am asking for a little help. If you see an article in a newspaper
about the famine can you post a comment about public maps and the
availability of UN Satellite images. We all pay for the  UN so I would
have thought that the images should be under a public domain licence

The Independent newspaper is here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/

but if your prefer you own newspaper then thats good too

Cheers

Bob