[HOT] SPOT aerial imagery over Dadaab camp in Kenya

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 16:58:07 BST 2011

In JOSM you have to use that URL in the 'service URL' box and then click 'get layers'.  That reveals two SPOT imagery layers available at longer URLs. Looks like the second one is higher resolution than the first. I guess the first one is 2007. It's looking greener and less arid.  In general the second one is going to be more useful.

The final configured URL for that one is:   wms:http://ws.spotimage.com/spotlive/wms/588c8a81-c145-4913-8972-3894a023f422?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=IMG_S51453490702110752062V5N&

It seems to me it's not quite sharp enough to make out the details of settlements properly, but I was just using it to add some river details here: http://osm.org/go/wqCWhp8    But maybe rivers like that are dried up in the drought. And I can't tell where are the actual camps are set up.

Harry