[HOT] Samoa Simulation

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Sat Dec 3 22:24:13 GMT 2011

SAMOA SIMULATION Progress report at 22:00 GMT
Total
TASK                                         Areas            Mapped

Savai'i Island Overview
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/19                           12                               12

Upolu Island Overview
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/20                             8                                8

Upolu Island ONUSAT
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/21                            40                              3

Savai'i Island Detail
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/17                          104                              7

Upolu Island Detail
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/18                            18                              9

For this simulation, various humanitarian and crisis response groups are participating by producing Alerts feeds. These are in various formats. To synthetize rapidly this information and help orient mapping priorities, we tested a solution where the GEORSS feeds are integrated dynamically in an Openlayers API as marquers. Various Layers are added to the map and can be selected individually.

We incorporated feeds from SBTF and SamoAlert with instant update from these feeds. This functionnality looks promising. We also integrated road layers obtained from David Leng of Samoa.

Many alerts where produced today that we can see on the Samoa Cyclone Mapping Monitor.
The simulation has showed various little problems. This will help us to enhance this tool.

Frank Schuyler, Pierre Giraud and Daniel Oefele have worked on the HOT Task Manager to facilitate the distribution of tasks to mappers and permit the access to protected Imagery.

Thanks to all the mappers how participated so far.

Pierre Béland
Jean-Guilhem Cailton