[HOT] Details about the edits in Uganda and the OSM tasking manager

Douglas Musaazi douglasmusaazi at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 14:18:18 GMT 2011

Greetings,

Great thanks to all the comments about the links i sent in the last post, now i can respond to them after some analysis, and also give more details about them;

I have picked alot from your replies and learnt that we are doing almost similar tasks, all the OSM editors have advantages and disadvantages, and we shall be using all of them, only that we have lately been inclined towards potlatch because it is easy to use and spot on: "what you edit is what you get (WYEWYG)" and it enables the practical usage of the internet. Uganda being a low developing country can benefit alot from using the internet and despite the fact that there are various areas without internet connectivity, it (the internet) is growing at a fast pace!!, hence the use of potlatch.

The training has just begun and we have started with a few number of people who will be tested with their skills on the mapping days or future projects that will involve http://www.osm.org, then we shall keep on training more interested people.
It's a 4 hour training for 2 days in a week for the students in their holiday, am actually surprised to learn that H.O.T carries out a 2day workshop that covers the manual.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.29531&lon=32.61574&zoom=17&layers=M This was after the 1st mapping day, with a follow up of 2 months to produce the above output, foot survey and satellite.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.348045&lon=32.573484&zoom=18&layers=M 2nd mapping day with some students from Mukono Christian University Uganda (not fully mapped).

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.30763&lon=32.61526&zoom=17&layers=M After the 3rd mapping day, work is still in progress, it is a slum area (informal settlement).

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.68169&lon=34.19327&zoom=16&layers=M By http://www.osm.org/user/JeffH from Denmark who visited the area and used a gps as well as JOSM.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.380935&lon=32.558124&zoom=18&layers=M Done by me (Douglas) local knowledge have lived in this area.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.35489&lon=32.74168&zoom=17&layers=M By Kate Adoch she has good local knowledge for the area.

We contacted Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> for some assistance about the informal settlements, and he gladly shared with us and connected us to some mappers on the map Kibera project in Kenya http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-1.31202&lon=36.78874&zoom=17&layers=M

We will be sharing with the OSM community our activities and documented materials for the better, i think the gates are ok, as explained by Reinier (reinier.battenberg at mountbatten.net), that is how the Ugandan locality and housing is structured, and asJoseph said we may need to include the access key and its attributes.

Kate Chapman gave useful links to potlatch as well as other members who advised on using the tasking manager, thanks. We will be working with the tasking tool in our future acts.

Coming up is mapping at this area: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=0.315032&lon=32.604868&zoom=18&layers=M it is currently blank, but there is a coca-cola plastic waste collection center that is going to be indicated on OSM with the students we are training, it's newly built so the satellite imagery may not show it. This will be done on Monday 19th December 2011.

Yours Truly

Douglas Ssebaggala Musaazi
Mobile: +256-772-422524
douglas at mappingday.com