[HOT] Suggestions for Helicopter-based Imagery

Jeffrey Warren jeff at unterbahn.com
Thu Feb 10 05:51:16 GMT 2011

I believe we can help you out -- I'm with Grassroots
Mapping<http://grassrootsmapping.org/>
/Public Laboratory <http://publiclaboratory.org/> and we've been doing image
collection and overflights of the gulf oil spill for months, with a very
simple rig.

I pinged Stewart Long and Adam Griffith who've done most of the flights in a
variety of planes, and I'm hoping one of them will get in touch with you
soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gonzoearth/5080053188/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gonzoearth/5043089296/

Their rig is extremely simple:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pictearth/2768402272/in/set-72157606761378248/

And Stewart flew and processed the map of Burning Man, one of the

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gonzoearth/5093912481/in/photostream/
http://www.gonzoearth.com/services/

We usually generate GeoTiffs then TMS for use in JOSM, just as we do with
our lower-cost balloon mapping.

I'm curious where you're flying?

Jeff