[HOT] Suggestions for Helicopter-based Imagery

Jeffrey Warren jeff at unterbahn.com
Thu Feb 10 15:01:54 GMT 2011

And:

- I'd say that Photoshop+GDAL yields the best results, with full warping
ability in Photoshop resulting in much better warps than the affine-based
tools in other packages. It is time consuming, however.

- Autopano Giga can help with under 100 photos, but more than that and you
need a supercomputer. It's about $300, but results in pretty good automated
stitches: http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/c768bab4245a5671a0b1db569e9668c7/

- Cartagen Knitter is free, but lacks anything besides 4-point projective
distortion, and doesn't do edge blending. It does however export a TMS or
GeoTiff, and works for relatively large sets. Here's one of a 5.5km swath
which we've then imported into JOSM:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreywarren/4859434543/

That last one was with a balloon rig.

Jeff