[HOT] Bahrain & Libya mapping

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Thu Feb 17 10:40:09 GMT 2011

Hi,

There is always also the #hot channel on IRC for lightweight coordination.

@Floris: Do you know where is Maydan Al Shajara, the central square for
the protests in Benghazi ? I couldn't find it in that other map either. ;)

I am considering proposing the hashtag #OSMapLibya on Twitter for trying
to collect local knowledge and help from the Libyan diaspora, with
respect to street names, for example. OpenStreetBugs might be a suitable
tool for this.

(Just had a look: there is even a recent bug (Jan 31) complaining about
the lack of a specific guide for Libya, compared to Tunisia and Egypt.
"why are we invisible or wut". Wiki editors welcome...) :)

Of course, similar hashtags (#OSMapAlgeria, #OSMapYemen,
#OSMapBahrain...) could be used later, if this kind of social media
interaction works.

What do you think?

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

Le 17/02/2011 10:40, nicolas chavent a écrit :

> Thanks Katie for following up on the Arabic Mapping.
>
> I can not devote to this crisis time, although I feel like all
> something fundamental is happening there and as you put it that OSM
> can play a part, 2 points:
>
> I am wondering how to best coordinate on this fluid crisis mapping at
> wide regional scale
> * The wiki_project pages of each country have been used and we shall
> continue to do so; no wiki project lybia
> * I feel that to have an overview of our engagement in this mapping,
> an Arabic Mapping Coordination page in HOT, or a dedicated atriom
> group could be helpful to compliment the mailing list and help keeping
> track of actions and planning actions. This would be broad (strategy/
> main activities), implementation would happen in the
> country_wiki_pages eventually in dedicated crisis section
>
> Do we foresee any needs for imagery outreach in Lybia, Bahrain?
>
> Excellent day to all
>
> Nicolas
>

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Katie Filbert <filbertk at gmail.com
> <mailto:filbertk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Political instability has spread to other countries throughout the
>     Middle East, including Bahrain where crackdown has been harsh.
>     Bahrain is a tiny country, an island in the Persian Gulf.
>
>     Parts of Bahrain are mapped well, but there are large sections of
>     Manama (the Capital) and elsewhere that are completely unmapped.
>     We have excellent Bing imagery for all of Bahrain.  For now,
>     Google Maps is so much better than OSM for coverage of Bahrain so
>     for any immediate needs like Ushahidi, I would recommend using
>     Google Maps.
>
>     In Libya, the situation is escalating in the country's second
>     largest city, Benghazi.  In OSM, Benghazi is very poorly mapped
>     and Google Maps is not great either though much better than OSM.
>     Yet, we have great Bing imagery.
>
>     In the long run, good OSM data is a good thing for both Bahrain
>     and Libya.  Hopefully, we will be able to do some on-the-ground
>     outreach in both countries at some point, but for not filling in
>     basics like roads is helpful.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Katie
>
>     PS - there still is a need to map places in Egypt.
>

>     --
>     Katie Filbert
>     filbertk at gmail.com <mailto:filbertk at gmail.com>
>     @filbertkm