[HOT] Bahrain & Libya mapping

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 09:40:47 GMT 2011

Thanks Katie for following up on the Arabic Mapping.

I can not devote to this crisis time, although I feel like all something
fundamental is happening there and as you put it that OSM can play a part, 2
points:

I am wondering how to best coordinate on this fluid crisis mapping at wide
regional scale
* The wiki_project pages of each country have been used and we shall
continue to do so; no wiki project lybia
* I feel that to have an overview of our engagement in this mapping, an
Arabic Mapping Coordination page in HOT, or a dedicated atriom group could
be helpful to compliment the mailing list and help keeping track of actions
and planning actions. This would be broad (strategy/ main activities),
implementation would happen in the country_wiki_pages eventually in
dedicated crisis section

Do we foresee any needs for imagery outreach in Lybia, Bahrain?

Excellent day to all

Nicolas

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Katie Filbert <filbertk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Political instability has spread to other countries throughout the Middle
> East, including Bahrain where crackdown has been harsh.  Bahrain is a tiny
> country, an island in the Persian Gulf.
>
> Parts of Bahrain are mapped well, but there are large sections of Manama
> (the Capital) and elsewhere that are completely unmapped.  We have excellent
> Bing imagery for all of Bahrain.  For now, Google Maps is so much better
> than OSM for coverage of Bahrain so for any immediate needs like Ushahidi, I
> would recommend using Google Maps.
>
> In Libya, the situation is escalating in the country's second largest city,
> Benghazi.  In OSM, Benghazi is very poorly mapped and Google Maps is not
> great either though much better than OSM.  Yet, we have great Bing imagery.
>
> In the long run, good OSM data is a good thing for both Bahrain and Libya.
> Hopefully, we will be able to do some on-the-ground outreach in both
> countries at some point, but for not filling in basics like roads is
> helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> Katie
>
> PS - there still is a need to map places in Egypt.
>

> --
> Katie Filbert
> filbertk at gmail.com
> @filbertkm